- The official 1977 "Ultramar-Rizla" Lola works car
- Continuous history and only 4 owners from new
- Still on its original tub and gearbox
- 2019 FIA HTP and good spares
- Welcome & competitive entry for CER2 and Le Mans Classic
We are delighted to offer for sale the 1977 “Ultramar” works car with excellent history and few owners from new.
Lola T296 chassis HU87 was fitted with a 2-litre BDX engine (the 1st experimental version of the becoming BDG engine) and was the official 1977 factory car run under the Ultramar-Rizla Team Lola banner. It was driven by Chris Craft, Ray Mallock and Guy Edwards in the 1977 World Championship for Makes.
This works T296 still carries its original tub and original gearbox!
Only 4 owners from new: at the end of the 1977 season, HU87 was sold by the Lola factory to its European Lola agent Heini Mader after which it spent the next 20 years in the Rosso Bianco Museum in Germany. It was bought from the museum by US dealer Steve Tillack who sold the car to its current, UK owner in 2008.
HU87 then received a full rebuild including a new, Connaught Competition Engines Ltd. 2.0 litre Cosworth BDG engine and – when finished – competed very successfully in Peter Auto’s CER race championship as well as participating in the 2010 and 2012 Le Mans Classic where it won the Team event.
The car was subsequently retired from racing and – as such – it needs a refresh (fuel cell, engine, go-through, belts & fire system) estimated at a conservative GBP 25k to put it back in race ready condition.
HU87 already benefits from a new, 2019 FIA HTP and comes with good spares as follows: 1 nose, 1 tail (big & old) , 2 sets of spare wheels and gear-ratio’s
This is a rare opportunity to acquire a works Lola T296 with impeccable history and with its original tub and gearbox. After its refresh, this stunning, “Ultramar” T296 will be a welcome and competitive entry for the CER2 championship, HSR and/or SVRA races and – last but not least – Le Mans Classic 2020.
1977 World Championship for Makes
- Estoril - Chris Craft - 4th OA - Class win
- Paul Ricard 500km - Ray Mallock - Quali 7th OA - DNF (gearbox linkage)
- Imola 250km - Guy Edwards - Quali 5th OA - DNF (fuel pressure)
- Salzburgring 300km - Guy Edwards & Ray Mallock - 4th OA - Class win
• CAR TYPE
• COMP. READY
• FIA HTP
• EXTERIOR COLOR